ARKANSAS (KNWA/KFTA) — Nearly two-thirds of United States residents under the age of 40 don’t know that six million Jewish people were killed in the Holocaust, according to a new survey.
Arkansas has the lowest Holocaust knowledge score, with less than 17 percent of Millennials and Gen Z meeting the Holocaust knowledge criteria.
Historians and experts with the Claims Conference found that 63 percent of those interviewed did not know 6 million Jews were murdered.
The survey was conducted after interviewing 11,000 people nationwide and 200 interviews in each state with adults ages 18 to 39 through phone and online interviews
36 percent of the Millennial and Gen Z respondents thought that 2 million or fewer Jews were murdered. More than 1 in 10 respondents claim having never heard the word “Holocaust” before.
Here are the categories the survey used for interviewing residents in Arkansas:
- Can’t name a concentration camp or ghetto – 56 percent
- Believe Jews caused the Holocaust – 12 percent
- Did not know what Auschwitz was – 44 percent
- Did not know that six million Jews were killed in the Holocaust – 69 percent
- Believe 2 million or fewer Jews were killed during the Holocaust – 37 percent
- Have seen Holocaust denial or distortion on social media or elsewhere online – 45 percent
- Have seen Nazi symbols on the social media platforms they have visited in the past five years – 58 percent
- Believe it is important to continue teaching about the Holocaust, in part, so it doesn’t happen again – 86 percent
“The most important lesson is that we can’t lose any more time,” said Greg Schneider, executive vice president of the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, which commissioned the study. “If we let these trends continue for another generation, the crucial lessons from this terrible part of history could be lost.”
- Monday Morning WebCast – 5 AM
- Little Rock funeral home adapts to COVID-19
- Police need help finding man accused of inappropriately touching Harding Student on campus
- Sunday Evening Weather Update
- Razorbacks T2nd; Perico Co-Leader After Round 1