On this day in Arkansas history: March 4

News
DAY IN AR HISTORY LOGO_1549669675506.jpg.jpg

On this day in Arkansas history in 1918, the U.S. Supreme Court made a ruling to declare that Island 37 in the Mississippi River was now a part of Arkansas.

Due to the river changing its course the island that was part of Tennessee had now become a part of the “Natural State”.

The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture which says the Court ruled, “should now be located according to the middle of that channel as it was at the time the current ceased to flow therein as a result of the avulsion of 1876”.

An avulsion is when the land would break away or fracture due to a change in current flow or yearly erosion.

The island was apparently a good place for criminal activity in the early 20th Century, but today is filled with cotton and soybean fields.

On this day in 1932, the northernmost community in Arkansas incorporated. 

The town of Blue Eye also has the smallest population of any incorporated community in the state.

A man by the named of Elbert Butler returned to the area after the Civil War to resettle the area.  

According to the Encyclopedia of Arkansas, the post office he was given permission to open was given the name “Blue Eyes” because of Butler’s eyes.

Blue Eye straddles the state line.  As of 2010, the population on the Arkansas side stood at 30 people. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

 


Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

Get Your Arkansas State Fair Tickets!

 

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss