Crash kills Arkansas Co. reserve deputy & injures wife


ARKANSAS COUNTY, Ark.– A crash killed an Arkansas County reserve deputy and injured his wife this weekend on a Florida interstate.  

The Florida Highway Patrol’s press release read the couple’s motor home drove in front of a truck and trailer while driving off the emergency shoulder of Interstate 75 Friday. 

Kenny Edwards died at the scene.

His wife told us on Friday that she’s speaking out to defend her husband who was killed. 

Arkansas County Sheriff Todd Wright said the reserve deputy was the go-to-guy when he needed help either out on the street or in the jail.

His wife Kim Edwards said, “It’s still unreal. I keep thinking I’m going to wake up.”

Edwards sat in her DeWitt home on Monday afternoon with fresh wounds from the same crash that killed her husband only days earlier. 

Edwards said, “I mean he would say he was going to the store or something he’d come back two hours later. I’d say, ‘Who’d you run into?’ Because he would not stop talking. He loved to talk.”

The 57-year-old’s scanner and hat sit by the front door where the reserve deputy set up his own station.

“I have very strong faith but He’s kind of pushing me right now,” Edwards said. 

Last Friday a semi truck hit the couple’s RV on I-75 northbound near Gainesville, Florida. 

We asked her if she talked with a trooper about what she believes happened. 

She replied, “No. No.”

We contacted the Florida Highway Patrol. FHP is investigating the fatal crash. 

A spokesperson sent us a press release that read the RV “was on the east emergency shoulder of northbound I-75.”

It then read the motor home “entered the roadway into the right lane of northbound Interstate 75, in front of v02.” [V02 stands for vehicle 2. Vehicle 2 is the truck and trailer.]  

“I’m angry that they’re trying to blame this on him. Very angry,” Edwards said. 

She sat with fresh wounds and stitches in her hand and arm. 

Edwards told us Kenny was driving slowly in the right lane because a back tire blew earlier. She said they were trying to get to the next truck stop.  

Edwards said, “We had stopped once or twice when that first happened with the tire and not again. So I don’t know where they’re getting that. I really don’t.”

She said the reserve deputy came into her life after cancer killed her first husband. 

“Most people don’t find that kind of love once. I got it twice,” she cried. 

The widow’s taking on the role of protecting now– protecting her husband’s name. 

Edwards leaves behind kids, grandkids and great grandkids.

A FHP spokesperson told our reporter Price McKeon that the investigation can take 30-90 days to complete.

Funeral arrangements have not been announced as of Monday evening. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Trending Stories