Kefta — (Seasoned Ground Meat Kebabs)
- 1 Cup Finely Diced Onion (grated onion would be better)
- 3/4 Cup Finely Diced Parsley
- 1.5 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1.5 tsp. Allspice
- 2 tsp. Minced Garlic
- ½ tsp. Ground Red Pepper
- 1 Tbls. Olive Oil
- 1.5 lbs. Ground Beef
- Pita Bread, warmed
- Diced Tomato, optional
- Tzatziki Sauce, optional
- In a large bowl combine everything except the meat. Squeeze the ingredients together with your hands so that the onion release some of their juices and everything is mashed together.
- Add the ground beef and mix together thoroughly. Pinch off a ball of the meat mixture slightly larger than a baseball. Roll the meat into a cigar shape and skewer with a kebab skewer. Repeat until all the kebabs have been made.
- Refrigerate the kebabs for at least 30 minutes so that they will not fall off the skewers when you are grilling them.
- Cook the kebabs on a heated grill until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve on pita bread with tzatziki sauce and diced tomatoes.
Alternative Cooking Method:
- Roll the meat into cigar shape and lay on a lightly greased cooking sheet. Cook in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, until cooked through.
- 1 Cup Plain, Non-Fat Yogurt
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Finely Chopped Fresh Mint
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp. Minced Garlic
- ½ Cup Shredded Cucumber
Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate until used.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 1 15.5 oz. Can Chick Peas a/k/a Garbanzo Beans
- 1/4 Roasted Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Tbls. Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbls. Tahini Sauce
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- Salt to Taste
- Olive Oil
- Paprika, for garnish
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth, streaming in up to 1/4 cup of a good olive oil.
- Put hummus in a bowl and make a shallow well in it and pour a little more good olive oil over the top. Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika and serve with warm pita bread.